Towels are not something you should take lightly. Towels are the key to relaxation, soft skin and much more. They get an everyday use and should be treated just as delicately as any other linen you possess.
Rough, scratchy towels can leave you with dry skin and not the best feeling when stepping out of a bath or shower. Give yourself something nice and splurge on high-quality, luxurious towels. Not sure how to spot luxurious towels? We’ll guide you through the buying process.
Familiarise yourself with the fibres. Towels are made up of many different materials and to find the highest-quality towel for the best price, you’ll need to understand the fibres.
- Egyptian Cotton– extra-long threads that are highly absorbent and breathable. This cotton is grown and handpicked in Egypt and is known for producing standard, soft, luxurious towels.
- Microcotton- long-staple cotton that is developed in India. It’s highly absorbent and has a soft, suede-like feel.
- Organic Cotton- This cotton is grown without the use of pesticides or other synthetic fertilisers. It’s eco-friendly, gentle with very little impact on the environment.
- Pima Cotton- Typically grown in the south-eastern part of the United States, it compares to Egyptian cotton. It has extra-long fibres that are of the highest quality giving it a soft, silky feel.
- Turkish Cotton- Soft, luxurious cotton with extra-long staple that makes this cotton extremely durable with a little sheen.
- Bamboo- Bamboo cotton is made from bamboo grass. It’s mildew-resistant and has a very soft quality. Because it doesn’t require pesticides, it is also very environmentally friendly.
*Note: Be aware of towels that say things like “Made with Egyptian Cotton”. While the towel may contain Egyptian cotton it could also contain synthetics. Look for ones that say “100%”.
Yarn construction is another factor when it comes to towel texture and quality.
- Combed cotton- Has shorter fibres and stray pieces that are combed out. It’s a longer process but the result is more durable thread.
- Low-twist cotton- Has fewer twists leaving it fluffier.
- High-twist cotton- Heaving and more durable.
- Zero-twist cotton- Made using long-staple fibres.
- Ringspun cotton- Made from long and short fibres that are tightly twisted leaving a smooth and strong, long-lasting yarn.
Pima towels give you that fluffy feeling with a touch of luxury but at an affordable price. When out shopping for towels, you’ll want to look for double-turned edges with double stitching. They won’t fray as quickly and will last you longer.